Wednesday, October 1, 2008

First chemo July 22 - friends and family note

Hi guys....Shit this is tough! All my optimism and praying went straight out the window after chemo last Monday and I found my ass laid out - or better yet sleeping in the bath tub Tuesday night. I also have to send a big thank you to the Cruz family as Dawn held my head and rubbed my back on Tuesday night while not even saliva would remain down in my system! God help me please and that is not a slight begging and pleading either!

I also learned how important staying in contact with the chemo nurse is - her name is Pat! Super Cancer Girl cannot go it alone! So after much re-hydration on Wednesday early AM and the removal of the 5 FU (emergency rush in at chemo central with nurse Pat) - and many many anti nausea drugs, angel Patty took me under her nook and loved me back to health! Then a big shout out to my burg pal Liz who came over with the first season of the Muppets, Top Ramon noodles and more liquids than stocked at Costco!  Joe (Amelia's boyfriend) stayed over to babysit Thursday night and finally a little french toast and fruit stayed down on Friday morning! Remember three things to be thankful - well that day one was french toast!  Oh and that Quiche - well let's just say eggs, cheese and pie crust are not favorite food flavors now and may never be again!

Val arrived Friday for the second angel swoop in and nurtured me with hugs, kisses, picnics and I got to swim laps in the big Astoria Olympic outdoor pool Saturday. Debbie G joined us and we had great laughs and all looked very sexy in our bikinis - the 40+ trio. The steroids for nausea kicked in and you would have thought my binge eating disorders had come back - excuse me sir could I have your baked potato right off your plate! We ate crepes and drank a beer with fries! It was more than what any doctor could have known to prescribe!

Sunday Val leaves after yet another wonderful day of togetherness (oh how I love my sister) Kel you toooo! And then we begin the 2nd colon cleansing - MoviPrep for Monday AM colonoscopy. What the hell is with that name! The whole process did not go so well and the vomiting started - emergency call to the doc and we end up going the old fashion route with over the counter Fleet products! TMI Uh!

O. k but here is the great news that you can all jump for joy - stand on your desks and sing the praises to the DNA, cell dividing universe "The rest of Jen's colon is clean and clear"! When I told Patty half sedated I cried me a river - a river of relief and thank you god for some good news! Something to be grateful for today - clean colon! Oh and the waffle and fruit I had 10 minutes later and was able to enjoy! So for this week the big push is work, last week was a bit of a set back.

The other is breath and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy life and be so grateful for all the love I have. Amelia comes home this weekend - YEAH and turns 18! Honey here is the biggest hug and kiss for you - smack! Her dad is taking her and Joe to Puerto Rico for her B-Day - WOWOOWOWOWO! I will be here holding down the fort with round two next Monday and my cancer possee all in place with lots of hydration and armed with new drugs to hopefully make all easier. Thanks for all the notes and support - Mom I can't wait to see you! Jo, I am coming to CT to drive you and Richard crazy in the pool for a weekend. See cancer let's you invite yourself to your friends country homes!


Oh - anyone interested in some inspiring reading check out http://www.crazysexycancer.com/ - my pal Stacy had it delivered to my door step this weekend and Val and I are now graduates of cancer college or at least enrolled. The young woman who wrote the book is amazing! See you Tuesday Stac!


Three things to be grateful for:

1) A great new GP and news of clean plumbing! This may be on the list everyday for a while!

2) A loving home to take an afternoon nap in after a hellish prior week

3) The best damn cancer posse a girl could dream of

4) an extra one - a mom who listens to you cry on the toilet when there is nothing left in you - literally

I am so grateful today for all of you! Hugs and kisses Jen

0 comments: