Wednesday, October 1, 2008

First Chemo July 21, 2009 "hope is key word"

Photo by Joe Cruz http://jpcphoto.blogspot.com


Hellooooo for chemo headquarters!

First day and Patty and I wowed the staff at NY Presbyterian. Patty a big public Thank You! Dr Ocean was wonderful - we arrived at 12:30 and left around 5:30. We started with a half hour discussion of how I was feeling, healing from surgery, a little bit about the nasty cancer. I told her I did not want to know more right now about the cancer - I wanted to focus on healing as I am not intending to be anything less than a defying statistic!


So I went shopping yesterday and have protein powder for fruit and yogurt shakes - being careful about not too much infusion of vitamins as it can be counter to the chemo. I am taking a vitamin D3 and can explore magnesium and calcium which can help the numbing and or tingling in my finger tips and toes. For right now we are just watching how I feel as I want to allow for the full effect of the drugs. I spoke with my pharmacist and she is also giving me info to read on anti oxidants for post chemo - one of her employees is a cancer survivor. Lillan at Chopin Chemist has been unbelievably helpful and is supporting me to go the traditional medicine route without judgment and helping my dietary and holistic habits for post chemo. I also am meeting with an acupuncturist - I want to see what they have to say. My doctor is also very on board with my explorations as long as I discuss anything with her first....she wants me to let the scientific medicine work also.


I get one drug for 4 hours intravenously through the port - which is just a plastic rubber item under my skin on the right side of my chest that has a tube going down towards by heart for direction into my blood stream from my heart. The port was put in last Monday surgically in an out patient visit to the hospital - went well. They prick me in the port with a needle and hook the IV up and I sit for 4 hours (worked on my resume, thank goodness for the laptop, and watch DVD with Patty today - DVD not sooo exciting). Then they take that IV connection off and change to a new drug, leaving the needle in. New drug is the 5FU and this one is connected and a rubber tube (like an extra long condom filled with the drug) is in a plastic case, which I carry around in a very ugly black fanny pack, and this pumps into my IV for 2 days. I learned today how to flush the port and remove the needle myself so I can disconnect this second drug myself and have FREEDOM! I have been playing nurse (not Ratchet) for my surgical spot for the last couple weeks and it is healing and closing up very nicely. Chemo is every two weeks - 12 sessions if no problems with side effects. I am going for my colonoscopy Monday July 28th with my new GP and gastro folks. They work with the team at NY Presb. Yeah for the opportunity to get poked up into my but with a camera and surgical tools! I can hardly wait!!! Wish I could go virtual on this one. A little nervous.....Oh, for my athletic and mental health I am gearing up for a triathlon - only 15 miles in total but I can do all the disciplines - swim, bike and run. All who want to join in we can be a team - I will leave you all in the dust!


I sent a letter to Amelia's school and they reviewed her financial aid package and offered her more funding - I am soooooo grateful. Amelia comes home on August 2 and Michael arrives August 10th. I have been able to see Val and Kel at the beach in Mass and spend weekends with Patty and Richard at their home. Dinners with Shelly and Deb keep me from feeling too alone and love through the universe with my dear friend Stacy and her aunt Ester. Everyone is helping with healing - the words thank you can not carry the weight your love has taken off of my shoulders. I am attaching a little surprise showing my new haircut - whacked off all my golden locks for a new more stylish peaceful warrior. Please send all cancer jokes -- we make much fun of this whole crazy experience and sometimes that laughter is just what the doctor order!

Ok last new trend and one I hold dear to my heart - 3 things to be grateful for daily. Sometimes as small as learning about Greek yogurt to health insurance and severance to carry me for a bit. So here are my 3 things to all of you for today:


1) Kiss and hug - with a friend, a lover, a stranger who might need a pick me up...I am so grateful for all I get from all of you

2) Cooking - fresh, healthy foods are good for the spirit and body. Tonight's dinner Jen's homemade quiche with broccoli, mushrooms (vitamin D), grape tomatoes, three cheeses - mozzarella, ricotta, cheddar with 6 eggs. Yummy and good for you!

3) Walks when a breeze is blowing - this is the wind of the universe talking to you about what is important! I love that sound through the trees when you walk on a quiet street on a warm summer afternoon.


Everyday these thoughts remind me of how good I have it!


Lots and lots of laughs and love,
Jen

0 comments: