Thursday, October 2, 2008

Let the sunshine - or the wine flow, maybe both!

I have great friends! Debbie G comes to swim with me on my good days. Shelly gave me a little knitted shark that I can carry with me and Mark picks me up from chemo. Stac comes to visit me and takes me for a manicure and pedicure. Vicki E checks on me after each treatment and then again in my good week. The Cruz family gives me secret pomegranate/papaya seed juice with magic powers. I get hugs and encouragement on any given day from Jen, Kat, Liz and Krista. I have a home away from home at Felice and Glen's home and Teddy's. I reconnect over a wonderful fall lunch with Deb and Steve. Mr. Lowery makes sure we have great NY entertainment while mom is in town. My neighbors Mark and Nancy offer me morning coffee and their ever watchful loving eyes, and my family is welcomed into Patty and Richard's home for much needed reprieve and fun. I am so fortunate...there are stories with each of these wonderful people.

Patty and Richard and I became friends through our kids. Our friendship is enduring. I am lucky that we have gone beyond our children to a place where we are friends because we would be friends even without our kids. Those can be rare introductions through the course of your child's life. As parents we meet so many new faces. Preschool play dates, elementary school PTA, middle school plays, fundraisers and high school. O.k high school is usually the cut off for parent introductions. I was so lucky over the years, and quick to recognize those I knew instinctively I could sit through drinks with - a weekend away or a holiday get together. They are very special couples and have in many ways become extended family when mine was not close by - I thank them all!

Patty, Richard and I (Amelia and Ry too) have had the great fortune of traveling together and surviving it with many happy memories! We have spent countless weekends cooking, singing and sipping great wine and sharing the tales of life. So when mom and Michael had reached the end of their ropes and the kids were off to college - the grown ups took the opportunity to get our groove on in the vineyards on the Long Island north shore. Patty and Richard have a beautiful home and are so generous to share it with their friends!
Mom and I . Michael, Patty and Mom tasting wine.

Not every week is a chemo week. It is so important to remember that life keeps going and that I must keep going with it - and my loved ones (friends) make it so much easier. I am a lucky woman!

All my love to my extended family - my friends...

Jen

0 comments: