Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Surgery coming but we must prep first - clean the colon

We headed over to St Lukes / Roosevelt to check in on Wednesday June 4th for our preliminary blood test and the general check in before a big surgery. Holding hands with a loved one goes a long, long way when in this position - thank you Michael. Did I mention the importance of a health proxy! Moms, dads, friends without kids put one in place before you need it and the idea is not so frightening.

The hospital staff was great. I had a few minor interruptions. Organizing meetings via the ever reliable blackberry can keep one distracted...yeah I know turn that damn thing off, but work is a way to feel accomplishment when so little is in your control and contributing to some type of success is good for the synopsis in the brain. I did turn it off later....

We left the hospital in the afternoon to head up and see my darling daughter receive her end of the year awards - a senior heading off into the world! Oh I am such a proud mom! One for soccer and one for being a guidance counselor to her peers. Lucky...so blessed to have watched an extraordinary woman grow and take on her challenges with gusto and diligence - Amelia your mom loves you all the way to the moon and back down to the dirt!

O.k some of you have had a colonoscopy and I must say that the prep is absolutely horrible. Lime flavored salt solutions....sometimes I think we are so in the dark ages! My lovely sister explained that the body does not like an over load of salt, and when you drink 2 full 1/2 gallons of surgery prep for your colon a thorough flush is on its way -get prepared for a long night and a squeaky clean colon.

Check in for tomorrow - Dr T to fix me up!

J

0 comments: