Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Christmas 2008

It was here finally!  I love Christmas... although gifts are lovely to get, I like to give great ones and see how people react.  It feels good to know you have made someone so happy.   I like Christmas so much because it is one of my good family memories, and in spite of the difficulties we faced as kids - when we were little my Mom loved Christmas too.  

We always have a Christmas tree and for the last 18 years Amelia and I have been collecting great ornaments.  Some from my childhood that my mom gave to each of her kids one year, and many have special dates that Amelia will take with her when she moves on and has her first Christmas alone.  So when I pull the boxes out and Christmas carols play on the stereo and the tree has opened in its stand - I really know that the season is here!  As I unwrap the ornament, the memories some great and some sad flood me.  We had one for Blackie this year - a dachsie, and we put the date on it.   

My favorite has to be Amelia's wax candle made in preschool out of crayons "melted with care" and the winter scene made with plaster and real pine cones.  A handicap man Jeffrey helped her and her classmates make the winter scene with a little winter elf.  I think of all that innocence and love - and always have a good cry.  

So this year Jeff, Adrianne, Lola and Blake (Michael's brother's family) came over and we had traditional xmas eve dinner, mussels in wine sauce, lasagna, hearty salad and fresh dressing - and then a delicious assortment of goodies for dessert including Adrianne's flour less chocolate cake - yummy!  

Michael helped me and we finished the last bit of Santa duties and had a wonderful Christmas morning with Amelia and Clayton.  Later in the day a lovely dinner at Jeff and Adrianne's.  We talked to family all day and visited with Joe's parents that night... full of love and lots of luck!

It was easy to remember the importance and understanding of Christmas and giving this year my three things to be grateful for are very easy - Michael, Amelia and Clayton.



Happy holidays - love,
Jen


0 comments: