Monday, December 15, 2008

Round 9 November 17 - Mrs. Engel to the rescue

O.k so a little time to myself was more than I was really prepared to handle so my posse has gathered around and Vicki joined me at chemo.  I wonder how it is for my friends to see me in that position....hooked up with the IV of drugs that say "cancer treatment"?  With so many different drugs preparing me to actually get through the treatment - steroids, vicodin, ativan, the Emend...by the time I leave the haze has set in and I need the loving arms of another to get me home.  Kinda like the old days when party'in too hard meant a chaperon - a friend or my sister.   That was a long, long time ago and this feels much different - like I am old and vulnerable like a child at the same time.

Vicki sat with me through the whole thing - we love to chatter on about family and who is doing what.  We left and she got me in the car and into the apartment then onto the couch.   The afternoon light was coming in and the living room was warm from the sunshine - it was inviting.  We chatted a bit more and Vicki was off - Lilly curled up with me on the couch for company and warmth.

These are friends I only hope to have for so long - that I may be there for Vickie, Jamie and Ryan whenever they may need.

Three things to be grateful for:

1) I have company and conversation on chemo days and many others too
2) That my home is warm and comfortable so that I may feel cozy and protected
3) That we have only 3 more treatments to go!


0 comments: